Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Clicked it Up a Notch - January

Oh how I have missed I Clicked it Up a Notch hosted by Courtney. It has been a couple of months and I have found there to be a void in the reflecting on my progress throughout the month that I Clicked it Up a Notch provided me. I also miss having the opportunity to see what others have learned and learn from them. This month I have been working on two of my photography goals that I wrote on the first of the year...

Goal 2. Learn more about my new lens - I have been using my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Lens quite a bit. I still do not feel like I am totally comfortable with it, but I have come a long way. I love that I have the ability to use low number (wide open) apertures to vary my depth of field to a degree that I had not been able to before. I also see a difference in the photos taken with this lens versus my kit lens, but I am not sure I could accurately describe what that difference is or why it is occurring. This goal will definitely be one I continue to work on.


The photo below is SOOC (the second one does have some cropping and straightening done on it though) and I think that speaks to what I have been finding out this lens can do. 


Goal 6. Self portraits - You may be thinking "What is she talking about? This photo is not a self portrait." And you would be right of course :o). But it is an attempt to broaden the subject matter of my photos and the ability to discover a potential photo with subjects I am not comfortable with. And that was the purpose of this goal for me, to expand my abilities and see things differently. I still love my sunset, silhouette and nature shots, but I know that to grow I need to take risk.The pictures below are of my dog niece Cece. She is an amazing dog and the perfect breathing, moving subject to photograph as she doesn't move too fast and allows me to take many shots if I mess up the settings the first time (or the tenth time :o). 


I can't wait to work on these goals and my other goals next month and throughout the year! I would love to know what you think of my risk-taking...well risky for me anyway...photos!

Settings: ISO 800, 50mm, ss1/30, f/2.0 (full manual, tungsten wb, SOOC)
"You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky


Click It Up A Notch

2 comments:

  1. I've also been working on taking advantage of my 50mm (I just got it for Christmas). Have you had any problems with it? I get an error message pretty frequently which is annoying.
    I read an article the other day (can't remember where now) about how to determine at which aperture your focus is sharpest (focus on the same spot on something and leave all settings the same except aperture). I need to do this because I feel like it would give me a really good idea of what to expect with the lens.
    Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are sticking with your goals!! It so easy for them to fall by the wayside and I'm glad to see yours haven't! I'm also so glad to hear that the I Clicked it Up a Notch has been something you really enjoy. I do too!! It is such a great challenge to really look at your work and pick a favorite! What great lighting especially for a SOOC, you nailed the exposure!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.